Thursday, March 22, 2012

Katy Perry's 'Part of Me' Music Video Is Surprisingly Patriotic

Katy Perry rarely taps realism in her splashy, candy-colored music videos, but for her new breakup anthem "Part of Me" she's gotten about as close to gritty as we could expect from a woman who once sported a cupcake brassiere.
Perry unveiled the Ben Mor-directed video for "Part of Me" Wednesday evening on MTV, with accompany commentary via MTV News. "This song feels like one of the most aggresive songs I've ever put out," Perry explained. "It's kind of like an affirmation of strength, so I wanted to go the strongest route I possible could, so I had this idea—what if I joined the service."
In the video, Katy plays a woman who, heartbroken after the rupture of a relationship, enlists in the marines. Perry battled through three days of boot camp to prepare for the role, which had her firing machine guns, wielding bayonets, and flipping fellow Marines (all played by real-life soldiers).
"This music video, as much as I was sore and exhausted, I was so educated on people in the service who I've always respected, but this time the respect goes beyond and above anything I could've imagined. The stuff that they go through, the loyalties and strengths that they all possess, it seems like they are seriously, not to sound weird, but it's seriously the heart of America," Perry gushed.

When Perry released the song shortly after her split from Russell Brand made news, many believed it was a not-so-subtle jab at her ex, despite the fact she'd written the tune years before. We'd be wary of overinterpretation, but it is curious that Katy would explore her own patriotism after splitting from a Brit.

No comments:

Post a Comment